Looking for some indoor motivation? Here are some tips on how to stay active at home:
- If you work at a desk, set alarms on your phone as a reminder to move. Sit-stand desks are a great option to consider, and march on the spot or do calf raises while standing to break the stagnation of sitting.
- Climb stairs. Deliberately add more steps to your day. Consider going up and down a flight in your home, the mall, or an office building more than once over the course of your regular daily activities. As little as five minutes can make a huge difference for your health.
- If you have equipment at home, set up a buddy system for accountability. Helps to keep you motivated and allows you to stay connected socially during lockdown.
- Use free online workouts. For example, there are many sites that offer yoga videos suitable for all skill levels and ages. Additionally, if you’re a member of a gym, many have online options now.
- Get a small trampoline for low impact cardio, use a stationary bike with apps like Peloton, use a TRX or resistance bands at home for diversity and creativity in your movement.
- Write down exercises on pieces of paper and place in a jar. Pull one out every day to keep your activity interesting.
- With kids, build an obstacle course out of household items like couch cushions, pillows or cardboard boxes or set up a scavenger hunt to find items around your home. Make them race to put it back – and consider joining in on the fun!
- Get your kids involved in household chores to get them moving and participating.