A Summary of What Naturopathic Doctors Believe:
1. Support the healing power of nature -- that the body's innate ability to heal is strong and that we can also capitalize on the healing energy of foods, plants, light, and other natural substances.
2. Identify and treat the root cause of illness whenever possible.
3. Aim, like all physicians, to uphold the classic tenet: First, do no harm. We lo...ok for low risk methods that have few to no side effects.
4. Better educate patients. Knowledge is power, so we work to educate patients about healthy eating habits and other healthy lifestyle changes, as well as on how to decrease and manage stress. We give good explanations as to why and how things work both with the body and with our approaches. We welcome questions from our patients. During this information age, we are often partners with patients who may come in quite well-informed.
5. Use preventive measures whenever possible. We strongly believe in the axiom, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."
6. We believe that our health is determined by physical, mental, emotional, genetic, environmental, social and spiritual factors, so we strive to treat the whole person.
7. Embrace advances in medicine, both diagnostic and treatment, and commit to staying informed so we can make the best possible referrals for our patients as needs arise.
8. Work with patients to create specific healthy lifestyle and natural medicine plans that take into account personal risk factors, heredity and particular vulnerabilities to future illness.